Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Talent Auction

Our Church has an annual talent auction every year where we auction off our talents for the Lottie Moon Christmas offering, which is used by the Southern Baptist Convention to support our international missionaries.  

I decided that I would auction off my talent in the form of some Christmas cheesecakes a couple of quilts.

I am open to suggestions, too.  I asked my neighbor, Audrey, if it would be better to donate cheesecake vouchers or actual cheesecakes and was told that the actual cheesecakes would probably sell for more money, since people would be going to Christmas parties and such.  

How about an eggnog cheesecake in a gingerbread crust? YUM.  Do ya think that would go for a hefty price at auction, or is it just me since I think eggnog is one of the greatest things ever and should be its own food group???

As far as the quilts go, I have one ready for binding and another quilt top finished that is ready for the quilt sandwich.

Here is the almost done quilt ready for binding:


This was made with precuts from Moda "Swanky" by Chez Moi.  I quilted 1/4" on either side of the seams in a standard grid pattern.  Nothing fancy, but a pretty and functional quilt that will hopefully keep someone warm as well as fetch a good price to help spread the Gospel overseas.  Since the blocks are a standard 10 inches, it would measure roughly 50x60....minus the seam allowances, that is.  I could have added it up and did the math but.... well, I just  didn't. :)

Don't forget to leave me some comment suggestions about the cheesecakes!

~~Gena





4 comments:

  1. I am not an egg nog person. I also don't like chocolate cheesecakes. I do think pumpkin cheesecakes are awesome. Your lemon/blackberry one sounds really good, too. What about orange zest /vanilla?

    You are so talented you will bring in a ton of cash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. any kind of cheesecake... lasagna cheese cake... you name it... yummo!!!! The quilt is awesome and what an awesome donation... When you donate a quilt, that is time, money, and love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say more traditional cheesecakes would sell better. Love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! I think The Tulip Patch and Amanda may be onto something too. If I make a couple of plain cheesecakes, people can slather them with whatever delish toppings they prefer. Then I might can make the pièce de résistance with the frilly eggnog cheesecake and maybe throw in a voucher or two to auction off as well.

    Tanzie BROWN!! I don't know how a lasagna cheesecake would work but I will see if I might could round something up for my favorite Aunt. I know that praline cheesecake was a hit ;-)

    ReplyDelete